Westchester and Putnam Counties are home to an emerging green economy, spanning a number of industries that have become a growing source for employment and influence on the local market. Essential to the region’s economic vitality, the Green Sector includes manufacturers of “traditional” green products and services, along with companies led by executives who are actively implementing sustainability measures to promote green jobs and workforce development.
The Westchester-Putnam One-Stop Career Center, in partnership with Robison Oil, Inc. and the Westchester Green Business Challenge, has led the formation of this partnership. The mission of the Green Sector Partnership is to engage area employers to identify and develop workforce education programs designed to meet the needs of employers based in Westchester and Putnam Counties.
Employers who participate as members in the Green Sector Partnership have access to:
- Business services provided by the Westchester/Putnam One-Stop Centers
- A database of resumes posted by area employers that includes qualified green job candidates
- Ability to post job openings
- Announcements for new funding sources
- Information about upcoming green training events and opportunities
Green Sector Partnership activities have included:
- Summer Internship Program: The Westchester-Putnam Workforce Development Board (WPWDB), in partnership with The WorkPlace, Inc. in Fairfield, CT, has created a summer internship/fellowship program that is placing up to 18 individuals pursuing health care and green careers with employers in those sectors.
- Sales Training: Two separate programs have been offered, at Pace University and at Westchester Community College, for building contractors to perform home energy audits. Nine companies participated in this event, and 24 employees have been trained.
- Home Energy Assessment Program: This program provided a free home energy assessment to Westchester home owners
- Selling Green for the Energy Industry: As a part of an effort to “green” Westchester and Putnam Counties, three businesses, Robison Oil, Bruni and Campisi, and Bright Homes, trained their employees on how to market green energy systems to local residents
- Westchester Youth Summit: Robison Oil represented the Green Sector at the first annual Youth Summit, which was created to provide work experience for young people and information about how to prepare for a career in important industries in Westchester County.
Green Sector Employers who have participated in sector activities include:
- All HVAC Service Company, Inc.
- Green Star Energy Solutions, LLC
- Singer Holding Corporation D/B/A Comfort Save Solutions
- Brighthome Energy Solutions, LLC
- Bright Homes Energy Ideas
- Robison Oil
- Cel Foundation
- Sunrise Solar Solutions
- ECO Bags
- GP Renewables and Training LLC
As we work to identify opportunities for businesses within the Green Sector, we would like your feedback regarding the types of training programs that you would find most beneficial to your organization. Your participation in this five-minute survey will help us identify your needs and provide funding assistance for implementation. Take the survey now.
If you are interested in upcoming events, visit www.westchestergreenbusinesschallenge.org.
For more information on how to participate this free membership program, or to become involved in the Green Sector Partnership, contact:
Scott Fernqvist, Co Chair
Special Assistant to the Chief Information Officer
Manager, Westchester Green Business Challenge
Westchester County, New York, USA
Phone: (914) 995-3078
Dani Glaser, Co Chair
Green Team Spirit Founder
Phone: (914) 403-5149
Donnovan Beckford, Director
Westchester-Putnam Workforce Development Board
Phone: (914) 995-3707
David Singer, Westchester/Putnam Workforce Investment Board Chair
President/CEO, Robison Oil Company
Phone: (914) 847-0315
If you feel your company fits the criteria, add your company to the Green Sector.